Support for Scholarship
Support for Scholarship
Grinnell College provides a supportive atmosphere for faculty and facilitates their development, both in teaching and scholarship, during their entire careers. Below are outlined a number of our efforts in faculty development and support for scholarship.
- Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
- Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative
- Faculty Development Funds
- Faculty Leaves
- Named Chair Scholarship Support
- Open Access to Faculty Scholarship
- Research Ethics
- Student Employment
- Student Research Travel Form
- Support for Preparation and Submission of Grant Proposals
- Travel Reimbursement forms
The Committee on Support of Faculty Scholarship (CSFS), a faculty committee, oversees activities and fund allocations to support faculty scholarly projects.
In 2013, the Grinnell College Faculty voted to make copies of their accepted, peer-reviewed journal articles openly accessible through the Digital Grinnell repository and to request changes to their publishing contracts to make this possible. Faculty may request exemption for specific cases. The Libraries provide forms for initiating a submission or requesting a waiver, and support for reviewing author contracts. See
The Office of Corporate, Foundation, and Government Relations is staffed by a director and a grant writer. These two individuals assist faculty members in finding appropriate potential funding agencies, preparing proposals, and submitting proposals. This office also provides support for institutional grant proposals focused upon the academic program, including both instruction and research.
Committee on Support of Faculty Scholarship, May 2002
- Named chairs may use funds in any category allowed by standard faculty travel or scholarship support guidelines. Expenses in categories not allowed by the guidelines (e.g. books, computers, journal subscriptions) will be allowed only with permission of the Dean of the College.
- Maxima for airfares, total for trips, etc. will not apply for named chairs.
- Maximum per diem for meals will apply to named chairs' expenditures.
- Named chairs may apply to the Committee for Support of Faculty Scholarship for additional funds beyond their named chair allowance, but such an application should explain how the named chair allowance was used and why additional funds are needed. These requests will compete with other faculty requests for funds.
- Any agreements that named chairs had prior to the publication of this document will be honored.