Campus Construction in High Gear

New projects involve multiple relocations, renovations, and expansions
Denton Ketels

The new Humanities and Social Studies Complex (HSSC) moved closer to reality this spring with the arrival of heavy construction equipment and a tower crane on the northwest corner of the academic quad.

During March and April, up to 2,000 cubic yards of soil were excavated away daily to prepare for footings and foundations that will support 931 tons of structural steel, 28,000 square feet of exterior glass, and 14,000 square feet of copper and metal panels. 

These materials will help comprise the HSSC’s north and south pavilions, the construction of which will continue through 2018. Renovation of Alumni Recitation Hall and Carnegie Hall will follow, with occupancy of the entire complex planned for fall 2020.  

Also this spring, MacEachron Field was closed off to prepare the geothermal well field for HSSC energy sustainability. It is anticipated that Mac Field will reopen to normal use once its turf is fully re-established after the coming fall season.

Meanwhile, site preparation moved forward for the new Admission and Financial Aid Center (AFA) directly across from the HSSC at Park Street and Eighth Avenue. Design for the AFA is still in development. Construction will begin in fall 2017 with completion slated for fall 2018.

The footprint of the new AFA made it necessary to relocate the Center for Religion, Spirituality, and Social Justice (CRSSJ), as well as three student language houses. 

The CRSSJ is moving to a one-story, College-owned house at 913 Eighth Ave. Renovation and expansion of that structure, to include respectful space for students of all religions and spiritual traditions, will be completed this summer.

The Chinese House, German House, and Russian House are moving onto new foundations built on the west side of Park Street north of Eighth Avenue. The moves will occur this summer, with student occupancy set for October.

In one other construction-related move, the Reading Lab, formerly at 1321 Park St., has moved to a College-owned house at 1204 East St. until it settles into the HSSC alongside the Writing Lab. The Park Street house is being razed to clear space for the relocated language houses.

Share / Discuss